Wednesday, September 22, 2010

My Version of Route 66 drive.


We changed things up a bit from the actual route because we have family and friends along the way.

My husband and I did this drive and really loved it. Below are our stops.

San Francisco to Los Angeles – This is an easy drive that my husband and I have done quite a few times. My Aunt lives in L.A. so not only did we have a place to stay but we were able to spend some time with family.



Los Angeles to Tucson – We stopped in Tucson to see my cousin. She was going to school there and our stop was a great way to see her dorm, meet her friends and hang out with her in her new environment.

Tucson to San Antonio – This was a long day of driving. We stopped in New Mexico (don’t ask where because I don’t know) and took some fun pictures at one of those boards that shows how many miles you are from everything. This particular day we were set to go straight to Austin, but Garmin started to take us on this “highway” that was a 2 lane street with NO lights, NO cars, No NOTHING for miles. The only thing we could see where our headlight and I’m not even exaggerating. Since it was late we decided to go to San Antonio because that’s where the major highway we took through Texas was going. I’m sure the “highway” was actually very lovely in the day time but at night with no signs of life all I could think was Texas Chainsaw Massacre and I honestly had a breakdown and then my husband decided to take over driving.

San Antonio – Austin – After my scary night I was happy to get the chance to see a city we hadn’t planned on stopping in. And from there it was a quick drive to Austin. I have a cousin in Austin who had just had a baby so it was the perfect time to go to Austin.

Austin to Memphis – This was another long drive and I was sad to leave my cousin in Austin. Memphis is a city I’ve never thought much about going to, and man was I glad we went. My husband of course wanted some BBQ and although we were able to get in some sights I wish we could have stayed longer.

Memphis to Indianapolis – This was a quick drive. At this point my husband and I we really enjoying each others company and loved talking about all the places we had gone and the family we’d see. My husbands’ family is in Indianapolis so this was a good stop as well.

Indianapolis to Chicago – Another quick drive. My family is in Chicago and my husband and I had lived in Chicago for a few years. It was good to be back and see everyone.

There were moments where I was ready to be out of the car yes, but I now look back on this road trip with much fondness. I hope to make this drive again one day.

Are you planning a road trip?

No comments:

Post a Comment