Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Travel Diet and Exercise



Traveling always throws a wrench in my diet and exercise plan.


Diet: The first test is at the airport. There are NO places that have good for you food. Some may have an apple, orange or banana for sale. Some will even have a fruit cup but it usually stops there. And the smell of fast food wafting down the terminal is very tempting.

My number one issue paying so much money for fruit when it will not satisfy my hunger long enough.

Exercise: The hardest part. Motivation. Its hard at home and harder on the road. I would say that I struggle because I don’t always stay at a hotel, let alone a hotel with a gym. That would only be half of the story. There have been plenty of times I’ve stayed at hotels with GREAT gyms and never took advantage of them.

My issue: Its hard enough at home and the space in my carry on is too precious to use it for items I won’t be using…like gym shoes and workout cloths.

Solution: Thanks to shows like The Biggest Loser and Thintervention which provide viewers with great tips that can easily cross over for travel.

This weeks tips on the show alone can help so much. Biggest Losers tip was to take turkey lunch meat and wrap it around veggies creating a great snack that you can throw into a bag and travel with.

Thinterventions tip, take resistance bands and do a great workout in your room. Hello! What a great idea.

What I’ve changed: When I travel I now find a local grocery store and stock up on items like fresh fruit or anything that makes a healthy quick snack to prevent me from over indulging in local treats.

For exercise, so many great workouts can be done with just your body resistance so now I try (I’m still working on the motivation part) to do squats, lunges, sit ups and push ups (and soon a resistance band routine) if nothing else.

What are your travel diet and exercise tips?






No comments:

Post a Comment